Skip to main content
Create interactive lessons using any digital content including wikis with our free sister product
. Get it on the
Pages and Files
Old L2 Sci links
2.2 Information evaluation
2.3 Geological process
2.5 Extreme events
2.6 Stars and planets
2.7 Physical systems
Bio 2.8 Microscope
Chem 2.2 Ion analysis
Level 3 link
earth and space science
year 12 science
Earth and Space Science 2.4 (91190): Investigate how organisms survive in an extreme environment
Achievement with Merit
Achievement with Excellence
Investigate how organisms survive in an extreme environment.
Investigate in depth how organisms survive in an extreme environment.
Investigate comprehensively how organisms survive in an extreme environment.
1. Achievement criteria:
• selecting and processing information
• using the processed information:
describing why the conditions of the extreme environment requires special biological adaptations or technological modifications for survival
describing how the biological adaptations or technological modifications allow the organism(s) to survive in the extreme environment
• recording sources of information used in a traceable format.
Investigate in depth
is further developed by:
• selecting and processing information that provides links between conditions of the extreme environment and biological adaptations or technological modifications
• explaining, using the processed information, how the biological adaptations or technological modifications allow the organism(s) to survive the conditions of the extreme environment.
is further developed by:
• selecting and processing information that provides integrated links between conditions of the extreme environment and biological adaptations or technological modifications
• justifying, using the processed information, how the biological adaptations or technological modifications allow the organism(s) to survive the conditions of the extreme environment.
can be the same or different species including humans.
can be selected from, but is not restricted to, outer space, oceans, deep sea trenches, extremes of temperature or salinity, anaerobic conditions, excess exposure to radiation or toxic chemicals, geothermal vents.
Assessment resources on TKI:
Top 10 Extreme Environments
Extreme Environments Audio book
NASA Extr Env Missions Operation
brief but useful
NASA lists sci names of organisms not sure how much else but at good reading age
looks at 1 organism
Note the enzyme used in allowing PCR to go fast came from an extremophil
Deep sea extreme environment:
Have not started this unit yet but have been doing some research, below are some great sites that could be handy to watch as well as info and activities.
Brilliant, talks about zones/depths of the ocean and has info on a number on fish etc.
More info very good, covers a number of ideas.
Brilliant video on sealife adaptations to the environment
Lesson ideas from the University of Arizona that can be used or edited for our purposes quite nicely I believe.
Power point of deep sea adaptations, has information but needs editing and more pictures to make it interesting.
Simple activity work sheet will need setting up
I always find about.com informative in a easily read format. Check out other suggested readings down the bottom.
MYTHBUSTERS Video of under water diving pressure, is gory but fantastic.
Google Doc logbook:
accessible to SHC students
extreme environment student booklet 2016.pdf
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"